Wednesday 17 April 2013

It's curtains

...Not in the "something's about to end" sense of the phrase, I mean it's literally curtains that I'm about to talk about here. The giant glass doors in the kitchen have been bugging me, I feel like we need something to dress them a little, we've never had anything over them and once the work in the kitchen is done I think it might be nice to make the doors look a bit less functional and boring, the trouble is they are massive. They could do with replacing really, the seals have gone in some parts and there was an incident with some forgotten keys that means we've got a bit of a hole in the frame but less said about that the better. 

Here's an old picture of the doors, looking in from the garden. They actually look quite narrow there but they aren't really, plus there's a panel of three windows above



Now I don't know if you've bought curtains recently but I have (after the bedroom ones were ruined in the washing machine) and my god are they expensive! I think this is part of the reason we've never really done anything with the doors, to cover them with anything would cost us a fortune, or so we thought. I know I've probably said it before in this blog but I don't really sit well with buying things from Ikea and yes, I've recently bought drawers from there and I've bought curtains and bedding in the not too distant past and so I'm going to sound like a total turncoat here but this is what I'm considering dressing the windows with

VIVAN Curtains, 1 pair IKEA Thin curtain defuses light softly; perfect to use in a layered window solution.

Ikea Vivan Curtains £10 (Source)

They're 3 metres long which I think should be just about right for the height of the doors, I'm not 100% if they'd be wide enough to be closed over but I don't even know if that's strictly necessary and anyway at £10 a pair we could easily buy two and stitch them together if need be. 

I'm not sure about the colour of that particular pair, I think it'll look really nice against the pink on the walls but if I paint the dining table turquoise and gold as planned is it going to look awful? What do you think? Also, what do you think of curtains in the kitchen? Necessary or not?


No comments:

Post a Comment